Are you passionate about understanding the mechanics and strategies of running a business? Are you willing to open the door to a world of opportunities where you can learn how to manage money? Are you willing to create and implement business plans and understand the market? And finally, are you ready to own a business venture or become a top executive in a company? If you have a knack for these things and have just cleared your 10th grade, then you are in the right place!
We know how not everyone likes typical subjects like history, geography, and maths which is taught in school. You must be curious though, about what subjects you will have if you take commerce after tenth grade. Let’s start with why you should opt for commerce as your field!
Firstly, Why Choose Commerce?
For those interested in learning how the economy functions and how organisations interact with it, a career in commerce can be an excellent choice. You’ll be able to examine market trends and make business decisions that can affect a company’s success if you have a solid grasp of economics and business.
Commerce has created a variety of brand-new, fascinating job prospects outside of the usual finance and accounting jobs, including e-commerce, digital marketing, data analytics, and many others. Problem-solving abilities and creative thinking are needed in these emerging fields (just like how it’s crucial if you’d take up science, so there’s no escaping this!). You will learn about these innovative and fascinating business sectors as a student of commerce, and you will be able to hone the skills necessary to succeed in them.
Out of the three streams, commerce is the most flexible because it offers a wide variety of subject combinations. There are numerous courses rooted in the topic of commerce available at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. You can get high-paying employment in the corporate sector by taking such courses.
Ultimately, the decision to choose commerce after the 10th should be based on your personal interests and career goals. It may be helpful to research different programs and speak with professionals in the field to better understand the opportunities available to you. Experts at Mentoria are here to guide you whenever you want!
For choosing the commerce stream after the tenth grade, all schools in the nation have different percentage criteria. You can choose the stream of your choice if your score meets the minimum needed percentages for both commerce with maths and commerce without maths.
You need to be familiar with all of the subjects you will be studying in the commerce stream in order to really answer the question “Why choose commerce after 10th class?” So here we go!
Discovering A World That Goes Beyond Accounts and Economics
Like every field of study, commerce includes both compulsory and optional subjects. Additionally, students have the option of studying commerce with or without maths. You can pick from elective subjects like Information Practice, Psychology, Language Studies, Physical Education, and Home Science, to mention a few, if you decide to pursue commerce without maths.
Following are some of the main subjects in commerce after the tenth grade to assist you to understand the core and electives available in this stream!
1. Accounting: This is where you’ll learn how to deal with money like a pro. It’s like being a detective, but instead of solving crimes, you’re tracking down every penny. The principles and procedures of financial accounting are covered in this course, as well as the recording, categorisation, and summarising of financial transactions. This will certainly help you in the practical world!
2. Business Studies: Business Studies is a subject that teaches you how to run the show. It’s like being the captain of a ship, but instead of water, you’re navigating the treacherous waters of the business world. This subject covers the principles and practices of business management, including topics such as organisational structure, human resource management, and marketing.
3. Economics: Who could forget about Economics? Some of us do have this in school and this subject includes concepts like supply and demand, market systems, and monetary policy. This class is all about understanding the money game. It’s like playing Monopoly, but with real-life consequences. It also covers the theories and methods of micro and macroeconomics.
4. Mathematics: Of course, we can’t leave out Mathematics – the subject that’s loved (probably not by all) by students worldwide. It’s like being a magician, but instead of pulling rabbits out of hats, you’re pulling out equations and formulas. This subject covers basic mathematical concepts and techniques, including algebra, geometry, and statistics.
5. Financial Management: As the name suggests, this subject is about managing finances. The class that teaches you how to make it rain. It’s like being a rockstar, but instead of a guitar, you’re rocking the world of finance. The ideas and procedures of financial management are covered in this course, along with issues including budgeting, financial analysis, and investment choices.
6. Marketing: Here you’ll learn how to persuade people to buy your stuff. It’s like being a superhero, but instead of saving the world, you’re selling your products. Consumer behaviour, market research, and advertising are just a few of the subjects covered in this course’s marketing principles and practises section.
7. Business Law: The class that teaches you how to stay out of legal trouble. It’s like being a ninja, but instead of fighting bad guys, you’re dodging legal obstacles. This topic includes contract law, company law, and intellectual property law. It also covers the fundamentals and procedures of business law.
8. Taxes: Taxes are all about paying your dues to the government. It’s like being a farmer, but instead of planting crops, you’re planting cash for the taxman. The principles and procedures of taxation are covered in this subject, along with issues like income tax, sales tax, and property tax.
9. Cost and Management Accounting: The class that teaches you how to make money like a boss. Topics covered in this course include standard costing, budgeting, and cost-volume-profit analysis. It also covers the theories behind cost and management accounting.
10. Auditing: Auditing teaches you how to find financial skeletons in the closet. It’s like being a detective, but instead of solving murders, you’re investigating balance sheets. This subject covers auditing principles and procedures, including internal auditing, external auditing, and forensic accounting.
11. E-Commerce: Here comes the class that teaches you how to sell stuff online. It’s like being a digital guru, but instead of meditating, you’re making a bank on the internet. This subject covers e-commerce principles and practices, including digital marketing, online payment systems, and e-commerce law.
When choosing to pursue higher education in the field of commerce after 10th grade, students typically have several options for subject combinations. The specific combination of subjects may vary depending on the program or institution. Normally, you will have three compulsory and three optional subjects to choose from. It’s always recommended to check the specific requirements of the program or institution you are interested in before making a final decision.
Finding Your Dream College for Commerce
There are numerous institutions and universities in India that provide higher education in the area of commerce. Depending on the criteria used to evaluate them, the top 5 institutions for studying commerce after the tenth grade may change, but some of the most well-known colleges in India for studying commerce are:
It is worth noting that this list is not exhaustive and there are many other colleges in India that offer excellent education in the field of commerce.
Still Confused? Seek Guidance From Mentoria!
Whether you need help with selecting your career or your subjects we’re here to provide you with all the help! Kick-start your career discovery journey with Mentoria and discover the right career fit for you. Feel free to call us to speak to our career mentors and choose the right career guidance plan that suits your needs.
Mentoria’s career guidance programme enables you to choose your perfect fit from 3 streams, 850+ courses, and 12,000+ careers, and discover what will bring out the best in you.